At Plumb Mate, we are great advocates of bathroom DIY and are always pleased to offer advice to our clients after their purchases. In our suffolk-based showrooms, we stock 1000s of products from a wide selection of important named brands including Vado and Merlyn Shower Doors, for whom we are pleased to offer a lifetime warrantee.
Here’s some of our top tips for being a bathroom DIY master.
Tiling is a great way to finish a bathroom, but it can be a tricky job, it is important to take your time and get it right.
- Set out your tiles before you begin, so that you can check the grid pattern and ease of join
- Make sure the tiling surface is clean, dry and flat, otherwise you will have a tough time
- Strip any wallpaper back to the plaster, removing any crumbling plaster and filling in holes
Installing a Shower
Probably the most important part of your bathroom DIY skills is being able to install a shower, we can help with all manner of shower units.
- When installing a shower, use masking tape or a tile bit on the tiles to stop them slipping upon drilling into the tiles
- When fitting the rail for your shower, make sure that you put it high enough so that your shower head doesn’t dangle less than 25mm from the spill-over level of the bath, wash basin or shower tray, thus avoiding any dirty water siphoning into clean water supplies.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions clearly
For specific help or instructions, do not hesitate to get in touch with Plumb Mate.
Get the Right Tools
Before you begin any DIY plumbing projects, it is vitally important to make sure you have the right tools for the job. Before you start, purchase the following tools, for every job you may ever encounter.
- Basin Wrench
- Bending Springs
- Cranked Spanner
- Epoxy Putty
- Freezing Kit
- Half Round Metal File
- Mini Pipe Cutter
- Pipe Bending Machine
- Pipe Cleaning Rods
- Pipe Cutter
- Pipe or Stillson Wrench
- Pipe Repair Clamp
- Radiator Bleed Key
- Slip-Joint Pliers
We welcome our customers to visit us in one of our showrooms, and look forward to meeting you. To arrange a visit to one of our showrooms with one of our bathroom specialists, get in contact with Plumb Mate today.